Chickpeas in Tomato Sauce Recipe
Chickpeas are a very versatile food, you can eat them hot or cold, canned or dried, and they can be the main ingredient in the meal or eaten on the side
This recipe calls for chickpeas to be the main ingredient. Try out this chickpeas in tomato sauce recipe, it is full of flavor and highly nutritious!
1 Cup Chickpeas (dry/uncooked)
Fresh Spinach/ collard greens
2 Carrot sticks
2 Celery sticks
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
A Can of Tomato
1 full Tbsp Tomato Puree
A tsp Sugar (to balance the acidity of the tomatoes)
Ground Black Pepper
- Place the chickpeas in a large saucepan. Pour enough water to fill to 5cm above top of the chickpeas. Soak overnight.
- Rinse them and place them in a pot. Put enough water to cover them. Bring them to a boil. While your chickpeas are cooking, cut up the carrots, spinach, celery and onion.
- Once the chickpeas are soft, change the water and cover the chickpeas again with water and add the can of tomatoes, the tbsp of tomato puree, 1/2 cup of olive oil and tsp of sugar.
- Add in the celery, spinach, carrots, onion and black pepper
- Let it simmer until everything is cooked.
- Season with salt and black pepper at the end.
If you liked this post, why not give it a share...