Delightful Semolina Halva
2 Cups Semolina
1/2 cup Almond slivers (optional)
For the Syrup
1/2 cup of sugar
2 1/2 cups of water
2tbsps Rose Water
1 cinnamon clove
3 cloves (optional)
- Start by preparing the syrup. Add all the ingredients into a pan over high heat and bring to the boil. Boil until the sugar has dissolved and the syrup slightly thickens. Set aside, but keep warm.
- In the meantime, roast the almond silvers in the oven at 180C or on the stove.
- To prepare the halva heat the oil in a large pot and add gradually the semolina. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon to allow the semolina to absorb the oil. When the semolina starts to bubble, turn the heat down and allow to toast until golden (whilst constantly stirring). The more you toast the mixture for the halva, the darker it will become. So be careful not to over toast it, as the semolina will burn and the halva will become bitter.
- Remove the pot from the stove and pour in the warm syrup. Stir with a wooden spoon and return the pot on the stove. Cook the halva (whilst stirring) until the mixture thickens and pulls away easily from the sides of the pan.
- Remove the pot from the stove, add half of the roasted almond slivers and mix.
- Allow to cool for about 1 1/2 hour before serving. Garnish with some cinnamon powder and sprinkle with the rest almond slivers.