Tips on How to Stay Motivated while Losing Weight
Have you ever been on a diet and after 2 weeks in you felt demotivated?
It is safe to say that everyone who has gone on a diet in pursuit of weight loss has made plenty of mistakes when it comes to their diet and exercise.
However, in order to have a successful but also most importantly, a healthy weight loss, you must understand that it is a process. Weight loss does not happen from one day to the next. If you want to enjoy life while still losing weight, use these 7 tips.
Top Tips Stay Motivated while Losing Weight
Don't fixate on the scale
The scale is just one tool that can help you measure your weight loss. Don't base the success of your weight loss on the scale. A lot of people let the number on the scale get to them, and it starts to mess with their mind.
It is important to remember the scale is not always reliable. The reason the scale is not very reliable, and therefore you should not focus too much on the number, is because your weight fluctuates. It is common to notice weight fluctuations if you weigh yourself every day. Weight fluctuations occur, due to water weight, you may have eaten food or drank water late at night, it is also likely that you gained some muscle along the way.
The scale is a great tool to help you assess how your weight loss is going, however, it is not the only one. Other methods are; progress pictures (taking pictures from different angles, i.e. front, side back) and using a measuring tape (measure your waist, hips, legs, arms and chest). Use all of these tools to gain a more detailed and reliable result.
Stock your fridge and cupboards with healthy foods, small things such as having plenty of fruits and vegetables make it easier for you to stick to your diet. Also, plan and prep your meals. Planning out your meals before the week begins takes the thinking away during the week and as a result helps take away the stress. Meal planning can help you make better choices compared to cooking on a whim.
If you have a busy schedule, prepping your meals is an excellent way to stay on track and decreases stress. Homemade meals are always better than ready made. Homemade meals are almost always more nutrient dense, have less fat and salt. When it comes to meals you have cooked, you know what is in it and therefore you don't have to stress.
Be Flexible with your diet
I cannot stress this enough. If you want to lose weight, you do not have to go on a crazy low calories diet and you do not have to deprive or restrict yourself. Many people who decide to lose weight restrict certain foods and food groups. They label foods a 'good' and 'bad,' 'healthy' and 'unhealthy.' When you start labeling and restricting food, you begin to develop an unhealthy relationship with food and start to hate the journey and as a result quit or start binging.
Allow yourself those foods you crave every once in a while. You can include some 'unhealthy' foods in your diet every day if you want. As long as your diet is mostly made up of micronutrient dense foods, you can include a few 'bad' foods. You can follow the 80/20 rule. If your diet is 80% whole foods, the other 20% can be processed foods.
Enjoy your workouts
When it comes to a successful weight loss, exercise goes hand in hand with a good diet. For exercise to be enjoyable and to not feel like a burden or chore you have to find a something that you enjoy. A good workout does not have to involve going to the gym. There are plenty of other ways to exercise that can elevate your heart rate, such as; Zumba, cycling, hiking, running, dancing, brisk walking.
Find a workout that you enjoy and can maintain.
Stop looking at social media
We all get caught up comparing ourselves to others we see on social media. Comparing yourself to other people does not help. Focus on yourself. Most of the people you see on in magazines, on TV or Instagram don't even look like those people.
Silence your inner critic
Too often we use self - criticism as a way to motivate us. Being critical of yourself can be great for motivation, however, this can backfire and can lead to too much pressure. Being overly critical can affect your state mind and your progress. Remember to give yourself a little love and a pat on the back for how far you have come.
Remember why you started
Remind yourself why you started and why you want to lose weight. We often get caught up thinking about the end result and because weight loss is a process and a journey we get demotivated when we don't see the results as quick as we hoped.
If you liked this post, why not give it a share...